When choosing to replace your home windows, the first choice you will have to make is whether or not you want to use wood or vinyl. While wood has been around longer, vinyl has become a strong contender for home window use, due to its many benefits and widespread availability. Your windows will tell you when it’s time for a replacement, and you should be prepared to make an informed decision about which style is right for your home. Continue reading below to see our list of pros and cons, what we recommend, and where to go for the best vinyl windows in Toronto!
The classic and well-known option is obviously wood windows, as they have been around much longer. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they are better! We’ve made a pro-con list to compare the benefits and drawbacks of this particular style:
– Wood windows can be covered in a variety of outer materials, such as fibreglass and aluminum, that can come in any colour
– Wood windows are great insulators and are highly energy efficient
– High resale value
– Wood windows are expensive, due to lower demand and higher raw material cost
– May also be harder/take longer to obtain and have installed due to lower demand
– Wood windows require regular maintenance and upkeep, including staining and refurbishing for dents and visible scratches
– Wood windows can rot if improperly cared for, as they are natural materials
While great at keeping your energy costs down and your home insulated, wood windows will come with increased lifetime costs for initial materials and installation, as well as upkeep. Let’s see how vinyl windows in Toronto compare!
While newer on the market (1970s), vinyl windows in Toronto have become the main competitor to traditional wood windows. They too come with their own pros and cons, though one side definitely outweighs the other.
– Vinyl windows are cheaper to purchase and easier to obtain
– Vinyl windows don’t require regular maintenance, reducing lifetime cost
– Vinyl windows will last longer, as they aren’t made of natural materials
– They are just as energy efficient as wood windows
– Can be customized to different colours and styles, even faux wood
– May be less highly valued by homebuyers, especially in historic homes
– Frames are typically hollow, which may allow cold air to pass
While vinyl windows in Toronto may not be perfect, they do possess many added benefits over traditional wood windows that make them a worthwhile investment for your home. But where is the best place to purchase your new windows?
While both styles have their benefits, vinyl pulls ahead as the winner due to its affordability, equal energy efficiency, and lack of required maintenance. Though a classic, wood’s high maintenance costs make it a big investment for primarily aesthetic benefits.
If you’re in the market for new vinyl windows in Toronto, look no further than Clera Windows and Doors for a wide selection of windows, and quality installation. Don’t believe us? Read their customer reviews to see why they are number one ranked company on our site!